Do you prefer an AMD or Intel powered computer?

Do you prefer an AMD or Intel powered computer?

• AMD

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

catgirl

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
May 28, 2020
United States
envyforums.net
As the title says I'm curious as to whether members here prefer an AMD or Intel powered computer. For years Intel has had an iron-grip on the CPU market but in the last three years AMD has made a come-back and made six-core CPUs more affordable than ever. With AMD's stretch to bring six core CPUs to the consumer market, will software vendors catch up and take advantage of AMD's offering, and will AMD take over a market once dominated by Intel or will Intel catch up and outperform AMD again? I look forward to seeing your votes and replies.

MeowsePad

May 29, 2020
I have an older build so I still have an Intel processor, but I would love to upgrade to a Ryzen-based build. Ryzen is just the best price/performance chip right now.

Nova

May 29, 2020
I think a lot depends on the context where you wish to use those processors. I'd use Rynzen (AMD) based devices for the gaming any day. I don't see the value of the Intel based devices in the gaming world. Though each of them compete on that. For developers I think AMD or Intel doesn't make much difference unless you are 3D rendering.

Reactions: catgirl

catgirl

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
May 28, 2020
United States
envyforums.net
I think a lot depends on the context where you wish to use those processors. I'd use Rynzen (AMD) based devices for the gaming any day. I don't see the value of the Intel based devices in the gaming world. Though each of them compete on that. For developers I think AMD or Intel doesn't make much difference unless you are 3D rendering.
I agree. The server market is currently monopolized by Intel. I hear AMD is making some powerful chips for servers. Once AMD Epyc gets certified for Windows Server (it supports but it not certified) if they can keep the cost down they'll take over the server market. Cloudflare which uses Linux servers recently switched to AMD (see https://blog.cloudflare.com/technical-details-of-why-cloudflare-chose-amd-epyc-for-gen-x-servers/ and https://blog.cloudflare.com/an-epyc-trip-to-rome-amd-is-cloudflares-10th-generation-edge-server-cpu/). A lot of businesses don't want to take the risk even if it means they're spending more money to buy Intel (at least they know it's not as fast but works perfectly) although I hope this changes over the next ten years. Intel is gonna have to work hard to catch-up or the company that once almost put AMD out of businesses might go out of business themselves.

Nova

May 29, 2020
AMD was known for the heating and with gaming considering the cooling requirements, people don't care much. But server environment cant take the heat that is emmiting. So it would take some time for them to make processors that can stand Intel like stability.

Reactions: catgirl

catgirl

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
May 28, 2020
United States
envyforums.net
AMD was known for the heating and with gaming considering the cooling requirements, people don't care much. But server environment cant take the heat that is emmiting. So it would take some time for them to make processors that can stand Intel like stability.
Interestingly enough AMD's Ryzen line of processors run cooly, if you invest a little bit into cooling and thermal paste (it's an additional expense for sure) you can get away with heavy overclocking and stuff :)