Fraudulent Money Requests

Alexander

May 29, 2020
Yesterday, I received a random money request for $800,000 to my PayPal. I have reported this to PayPal's account security team. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I don't understand why people are attempting fraud during COVID-19.

Of course, I cancelled the payment request of $800,000.

Untitled.png

untuned

Outrun-istrator
Staff member
Administrator
Retrowave
Jun 2, 2020
New York
untnd.me
it's just a request, there's no obligation to ever actually send the money
if someone somehow does send it, their fault then lol

• Haha
Reactions: catgirl

catgirl

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
May 28, 2020
United States
envyforums.net
it's just a request, there's no obligation to ever actually send the money
if someone somehow does send it, their fault then lol
That exceeds PayPal's daily sending limits as well. You cannot possibly send that much money without a business account with upped limits. You'd be limited to sending $10,000 at a time and would still hit PayPal's fraud detection systems for such a large transaction.

If your account is Verified, there’s no limit on the total amount of money you can send from your account. You can send up to $60,000, but may be limited to $10,000, in a single transaction. (This amount can vary, though, depending on your currency.)

If your account is Unverified, there’s a limit on the total amount of money you can send from your account.

Reactions: untuned

Alexander

May 29, 2020
That's bold of them to assume you have that much money lying around. You don't need to report it, requests that large are automatically flagged.
Especially during these times, when most people are financially struggling. As mentioned, the payment request was canceled and I did not attempt to send the figure. Hopefully his account has been flagged so he doesn't try this on anyone else. Thank you for the advice.